49er Update

The latest on Charlotte 49ers sports, especially basketball (what else is there?). Pregame and postgame write ups.

Friday, January 6

Starting things off

OK, so just like the 49ers this season, I'm off to a slow start getting this page ready. Infact, I've been downright lazy, but who can blame me? The team is sitting at 8-5 when we supposed to be something wonderful such as 11-2, or even 13-0. With that record we would most likely be ranked, but nothing like top ten, God forbid that'd ever happen, and all would be well with the world.

No one would fight anymore, the hungry would be fed, traffic jams would cease to exist, and terrorism would be a cloudy thing in our memories. Instead, the world is still a messed up place to live ; the Tarholes are ranked, Duke is undefeated, Gregg Doyel always pokes fun at us, the seats are not full, traffic outside Concord Mills still sucks, and people are still bickering about stupid shit, like sports. Thanks to the 49ers, we'll have to wait until next season for world peace.

This season has been, other than a dissappointment, very exciting regardless. Not knowing which team will show up to each game creates an anxiety that can only be matched by young couples about to be married. Are we going to witness team ball and 3 Pointers showers? Or are we going to experience an offensive explosion like the nine points we put up against Miss. St. in the first half. Oh wait, that day never existed.

Our marquee wins so far are over Davidson and Rutgers. While beating Davidson in two overtimes was quite a match to experience, the Wildcats have ceased to impress me after that game, especially against the Tarholes. If there is one team I wanted Davidson to beat it was Chapel Hill, simply for the fact that my parents, er, my Canadian parents, and my two sisters (UNCA and Campbell alums) cheer for them, even though none of them have any connection to that Baby Blue Bunh of Whiners. I will give them credit though, those freshman play very well together, and will be scary in a few years. To get back to Davidson, the team that showed up to play that night was not our best effort, but it was the most heart we had shown in any game thus far. The energy that Antwon Coleman showed in that game was felt by the entire crowd. Its wonderful to have a guy like him on our squad.

Then there was Rutgers, which my sister now attends, and many of us did not consider that to be an easy win, and some of us were probably expecting a loss, considering what had happened against Valporaiso and Indiana.

Let me say something about that Valpo game, not only did we let a skinny white guy scorch us offensively, the 49ers HAD to lose the game that I brought Summer Graham to. How saddening is it that you get a girl like her to attend a sporting event with you, and your team proceeds to lay an egg? How am I supposed to get my obligatory celebration hug when all we do is lose?! Thanks a lot Niners.

Back to Rutgers. Living in Greensboro, I was not able to watch the game on the stellar sports network, PBS, and I was attending a Christmas party which prevented any access to internet radio. Besides, I refuse to pay $5.00 a month to hear the Niners play over the internet when I can just watch most of the games on PBS now. So when I returned home later that evening my first impulse, as always, is to head to NinerNation.net and see the reactions from other fans. I do not need to the score, I just need to know how people are feeling. Even if we lost, if those guys feel our team put out a good effort, then thats all that matters. I was pleasantly surprised to see Charlotte 85, Rutgers 82. I printed out the ESPN write up and pinned it on my fridge for all my family members to read. Add that victory to our spanking of UNC-Asheville and I am (2-0) vs. family members this year.

After opening up conference play by handling Rhode Island (88-80), the 49ers travel to the Dayton Flyers, who like Charlotte, have been somewhat of a disappointment thus far. Despite that, the Flyers' fanbase is said to be dedicated and the arena will be loud for our visit. Considering how well the Niners are playing lately, I give Charlotte the edge in this battle. As usual, one player from Dayton will have a career night, but strong performances from Curtis and De'Angelo will carry us to victory. Final score: Charlotte 81, Dayton 74.

In other Niner related news, Traci Ray just might be the hottest girl to ever don a Niner Basketball Uniform. Our ladies are also at 8-5 thus far and have shown strong performances throughout the season, especially the victory over Liberty and that monstrosity Koop.

Other than our Niners not being as successful as we expected, another disappointment has been the lack of scantily clad women at our basketball games. If we could some girls like those Cowgirls of FSU, student attendance would increase and I gaurantee we would get more televised games. Get a few cute girls, put them in the front row in cleverly designed Niner Nation shirts, and you've got yourself a marketable product.

The Niner Girls.....I could see it now.

Until next time....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home